|A Stranger in Need|
|Season Five, Episode One|
|Air date||Saturday 3rd of August 2013|
|A Troubled Engine||Little Western Legacy|
A Stranger in Need is the first episode of Season 5, and the fifty-third episode overall.
Toby is taking one of his usual dairy trains from Toryreck when he witnesses a hit-and-run accident. A cyclist is knocked off her bicycle, and the BMW that hit her drives off. Toby and his crew help the cyclist, who cannot stand on her right leg, to Maithwaite Station where she is taken away in an ambulance.
Later on, Toby is interviewed by Sergeant Jerry Halford, who is the officer in charge of the investigation. He was able to provide the BMW's registration plate number and Sergeant Halford reveals that the BMW used in the accident was stolen. Once Sergeant Halford leaves, Toby tells Percy about the hit-and-run. Following this, Toby meets Patrick at Tidmouth who asks about that morning's excitement. Toby is surprised that Patrick has heard of it, and Sir Stephen Topham Hatt climbs down from the diesel's cab. He got a lift back once he had heard of the hit-and-run, as the injured cyclist is his daughter, Emily Helen Hatt. Sir Topham then goes to visit his daughter in the hospital, and Patrick commends Toby on his good deed.
Meanwhile, Percy is taking a goods train along the line before Ffarquhar. As he emerges from a tunnel, he spots the police chasing the car Toby described to him. Percy gives chase, and is able to cut the stolen car off when it is forced to turn into the driveway of the Ffarquhar goods yard. The car thieves are subsequently arrested by the police.
Later that evening, Sir Stephen brings Emily to the Ffarquhar Branch Line Sheds. Although she is on crutches, she insisted on coming down to thank the engines. Following her recovery, she visits the Ffarquhar Branch engines often and becomes good friends with them.
- Sir Stephen Topham Hatt
- Emily Helen Hatt
- Bridget Hatt
- The Policeman
- Daisy (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Donald or Douglas (cameo)
- Eric (cameo)
- Alice (cameo)
- Henrietta (mentioned)
- Emma Chesterton (mentioned)
- This is the first episode to use voice actors.
- This is the first appearance of Emily Helen Hatt and Patrick in their new forms.
- Joe Gibbons, Eugene Yu, JJLR and Tines Sensahthe make their first appearances in the voice cast.
- Percy references the events of Search Engines when talking to Toby at Elsbridge.
- Eugene Yu is not credited for the voice of Patrick.
- ANB as Emily Helen Hatt and Bridget Hatt
- WildNorWester as Narrator, Bertie, Sir Stephen Topham Hatt and The Policeman
- Eugene Yu as Patrick
- JJLR as Toby
- Tines Sensahthe as Percy
- Joe Gibbons as Thomas