Sodor: The Modern Years is the series that follows on from Sodor: The Early Years.
Following season 2, there will be two mini-series', presented in a format similar to Barry the Rescue Engine and the Railway Series books. These will be Couriers and Concerns and Tinkerbell the Foreign Engine. There will also be a feature length special called Enterprising Engines.
Following the mini-series', there will be two more seasons of STMY.
- There were a few changes made on the North-West Railway in the time between it and Sodor the Early Years:
- For seasons 1, 2 and 3, the borders of the title sequence will be colour-coded as follows:
- Stories set on the NWR will have a aquamarine border.
- Episodes on the Skarloey Railway will have a red border.
- Episodes on the Arlesdale Railway will have a 'Jock yellow' border with white lettering.
- Mid-Sodor Railway stories will have a brown border.
- Harwick-Cregwir tramway episodes shall have a navy-blue border.